The Children's Library Expansion and Renovation
Palo Alto's Children's Library has being expanded
and renovated using approximately $3 million in funds from
community donations and the City of Palo Alto.
The branch, designed back in 1940 by Birge
Clark, did not meet current seismic standards. Moreover, the
branch has been among the
busiest and most overcrowded of all of Palo Alto's libraries, with over 132,000 visitors
in a recent year in a tiny 3,360 square foot
space. Books and other materials were literally in the
show how the new wing was added at the rear of the building. This
enlarged the library by 50%, creating more room for reading, book shelves,
and children's activities, such as those
sponsored by the Friends of the Palo Alto Library. At the same time,
the Secret Garden behind the library was renovated, the original
building repaired, and new furnishings and equipment installed.
with an initial anonymous donation of $150,000 at the start of
2003, an an offer of additional matching funds, individual donors, the Friends of the Palo Alto Library, the Palo Alto Library
Foundation, the Library Advisory Commission, and the City of Palo
Alto combined efforts to raise over $3 million towards the
construction and furnishings.
The library reopens on September 29, 2007.
The pictures below show the construction progress.
Some photographs taken by Barbara Silberling, Ray Jadwin, and